Friday, June 13, 2008

A full day of grading

Okay, after my full day of reading, I can safely say that this truly is assembly-line grading. Of course I should have known this before coming - what, they'd actually want my input or something? So apparently there are 100,000 AP Chemistry exams to grade. Wow. No I don't have to grade every single one but that is still a lot of exams. My current rate is about 40 exams per hour and people tell me that's a little slow. What's more, I don't think my question leader likes me very much. I came in late on Thursday which disrupted her plans and then I arrived late Friday morning, by about 5 minutes, misjudging the time it takes to walk from the dorm to the state fair grounds where the reading is taking place. She appropriately upbraided me. I am trying to impress her with my diligent work but I don't think it is working. Ugh. I am here for 5 more days. Double ugh.

On the lighter side, since I am grading the last question of the exam, I get to see the end-of-booklet shenanigans that students write. So far, there have been the pleas for mercy, the "it's not my fault I don't know the answers, my teacher was an idiot" declamations, the "why do I have to pay $85 for this stupid exam" complaint, the website advertisement (no joke!), and the usual random silliness that highschool students put on exams when they don't know the answer to the questions. Oh, and the love ballad to his highschool sweetheart. How touching. I'd be touched more, however, if he knew what intermolecular forces were. Oh well. More grading tomorrow.

No comments: