Friday, June 13, 2008

Finally Arrived

Written on: 06/12/08 8:00 PM
Flight was bumpy. I think I have a pretty strong constitution -- I've never been carsick, seasick, or airsick -- but this flight nearly put me over the edge. I was really regretting those two cheeseburgers. Anyhoo, didn't get to Omaha until about 1:30 (pretty good by airline low standards). Limo guy was great, turns out he's a former Husker himself. Linebacker in the 70's. Rode with another reader, Holly, she is reading for the AP Geography exam. I didn't even know there was a geography exam! From her I learned that the unofficial nickname for the reading event is "Read and Feed" -- i.e., there's lots of food. At least I won't starve.

So I checked into my dorm room and didn't actually get to the reading place until about 3:30. There was really only enough time to process my payroll papers and go over the rubric for the question I am grading (#6). I will begin my grading in earnest tomorrow. Will I be docked pay for not working a complete day today? Dunno. Holly thought we might be.

Question 6, it turns out, is the most essay-ish of the bunch. Students have to explain why some compounds dissolve in water and others don't, for instance. Consequently when I mention to other readers thar I am grading Q6, the typical reaction is one of pity. This may be a long week after all. Fortunately the rubric is pretty straightforward and strict, so there is little wiggle room for wretching interpretations.

The atmosphere here, however, is pretty relaxed. I saw plenty of people in shorts and t-shirts. And, apparently the readers for each subject have a lounge, right in the dorm, in which there will be nightly parties, including booze. Don't think I will go tonight, I'm still pretty worn out by the trip but I will definitely take advantage of the opportunity later on.

No comments: