Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 8: Houston to Salina, Kansas

So I never again want to drive in Houston traffic when I can't use my rear view mirror because my car is packed so full. It is downright scary. Dallas drivers aren't much better. So much for "Drive Friendly The Texas Way".

Anyhoo, on the way to Salina, my car hit a milestone:





My car is now officially "over the hill". (And yes I slowed down for the second picture, it was a construction zone.) Ironically, the big moment occurred just outside of Sulphur, Oklahoma.

Got to Salinas and drove around a while. It reminds me a lot of La Grande. I was surprised to find no hotel in the downtown area, they are all near the interstate. Went to this great Italian restaurant, Martinelli's. The food is very good and cheap too! Then went down to the street to have a couple of beers. The people are pleasant enough. Everybody seemed to know everybody else inside the bar. Again more La Grande-ish feel - it could have been Ten Depot.

Now I'm back at the hotel and I'll finally be arriving in Lincoln tomorrow, but I will first make a quick detour to another surprise destination along the way. Stay tuned to see what's in store for tomorrow!