Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Stars Are Aligned

I'm not into astrology or anything (other than for entertainment value), but if I were, I would have to say that the stars aligned perfectly for this sabbatical. It could not have happened at a better time in my life. The timing is absolutely perfect, both personally and professionally:
  • I am now debt-free, thanks to learning how to budget from Dave Ramsey. Thus, even though I am going to suffer a pay cut while on sabbatical, my expenses will be reduced as well.
  • I don't own a house, so I won't have to maintain a residence in La Grande while on sabbatical.
  • Eastern Oregon University is, shall we say, in a bit of financial turmoil right now. So it will do me good to get out of town for a while.
  • My publication record has begun to falter. I need to step it up if I am going to land that big grant.
  • I have reached a point in theoretical chemistry where both the questions and answers are becoming harder and harder. It will serve me well to study with more accomplished and more senior physical chemists for a while.
  • I will be closer both to my parents (in St. Louis) and to my sister (in Houston).
  • Plus, I simply miss the sensible values that embody the Midwest. Oregon is quite a peculiar place for lots of reasons (Oregon allows people to kill themselves legally, but Oregon won't overcharge tourists at the Portland airport - that would be unethical!).

No comments: