Saturday, February 23, 2008

Events Thus Far

Nov. 19, 2007: I submit my application for a sabbatical.
Jan. 30: I received word from the Dean and the Provost that my application has been approved. Ironically, I receive it right after a chemistry department meeting in which we planned out the teaching schedule for next year. (Now that schedule will have to be redone!). I immediately spread the word!
Meanwhile: There is some angst that while I am on sabbatical, the Provost might not approve a sabbatical replacement for me, or if he did, it would be one in which the duties might be severely restricted, all in the name of saving money. However, Anna our chair alleviated this angst through talking with the Dean. I will have a sabbatical replacement, and this person will teach my normal teaching load.
Feb. 13: At another department meeting, I am "nominated" to chair the search committee for my sabbatical replacement. It hardly seems fair, but I guess I'm willing to do it if it means I go on sabbatical.

That is about where things stand right now. I am working on the advertisement for my sabbatical replacement, and once it is approved by the search committee and the Dean, we'll get the ball rolling.

No comments: