Wednesday, April 29, 2009

East Coast Trip: Day 1

Day 1: Thursday, April 16
On this day I left Lincoln. The goal for today was to drive to "somewhere in Indiana", and then arrive in Pittsburgh the following day. Of course I had stayed up too late the night before, so I didn't actually leave the apartment until about 10 AM. So I wasn't sure if I was actually going to make it. Turns out, though, that once I got past Iowa, it was more-or-less smooth sailing. I easily made it not just to Indiana, but all the way through it. I spent the night in Montpelier, Ohio, which is just west of Toledo.



I came across this interesting sign at a gas station in Iowa:



So I'm wondering, if you didn't get a receipt, what would persuade you to go "see the associate" inside? Wouldn't it mean that you just got free gas, and that you should hurry off as fast as you can? That is, if you were a person who lacked ethics.

Incidentally, I-80 in Illinois is just awful. It's full of patches and it looks like it hasn't been resurfaced in a decade...EXCEPT until you get to the toll portion of I-80, just south of Chicago. There, the road is immaculate. So my working hypothesis is that the good folks at Illinois only seem to spend their road money on the toll portion of their roads. The Indiana Turnpike, by the way, was also quite nice.

No comments: